For those of you who would like an update on the issues of the day:
1. The budget is up almost 7%, again. This is because salaries and benefits are determined by union contracts, and this is what the city has negotiated. Also, the mayor keeps creating new departments and staffing them with expensive help. The property tax rate actually had to be increased to accommodate this, a somewhat rare occurrence as usually rising home values allow more money to be collected with the same or lower rate. Construction overruns and frivolous capital projects have caused our debt service costs to double, to like 8% of the operating budget. This is not good. Plus our water plant was built in the Mesozoic Era and we don't have money to fix it.
2. The market house is a total embarrassment.
3. Homicides are on a record pace for the 3rd year in a row.
4. The city is involved in at least 4 lawsuits that I know of.
5. I am running a mayoral campaign for Chris Fox, and he will win.