Thursday, November 4, 2010

Recommended Reading

I'm not ashamed to admit that I don't read a whole lot--or at least it's not a prolific hobby of mine.  TV is way better (admit it!); I work a lot; and if I start reading I quickly lose attention and/or want to go to sleep.

However, there are some things that I highly recommend.  From the following list, you might notice that I "borrow" writing techniques, or outright plagiarize their work!  Hey, they've figured out how to write well...I'm not here to reinvent the wheel.

So here they are, highly recommended:

1.  The Economist.  I've had a subscription for like 6 years and I love it.  Don't worry, only like 10% of the magazine is about economics.  Basically, they tell you just enough about a variety of topics that you know what other people are talking about, but not so much that you feel like you're doing homework or learning way too much about, say, the balance of trade deficit with our export partners.  Plus I'm pretty sure it's published in England, and each time they replace a "z" with an "s", it makes you feel a little more cultured.

2.  Shit My Dad Says.  This is the funniest book I've ever read, and the greatest coffee table book ever.  The writer tells stories about his dad, which are funny, primarily because there is a lot of cussing.  The book was made into a CBS sitcom, which is not funny, primarily because there is no cussing.

3.  La Liga Loca.  This is a double whammy--a blog....about soccer.  Having been to Barcelona once, I immediately declared myself "European" and developed a love for soccer.  The writer of this blog shares the same snarkyness and cynicism that I pride myself on, and highlights how blogs can allow people who spend way to much of their life on their hobby to achieve a minimal amount of success.  You too will soon learn that the La Liga's emphasis on finesse and flowing soccer is way better than the harsh hooliganism of the English Premier League and the fierce organization and largess of the German Bundesliga.  (Note: it is appropriate to ignore the Italian Serie A due to corruption and a preponderance of thick black beards).

4.  Stuff White People Like.  Another coffee table book, the goal of this book is to provide you with the information you need to trick a white person into thinking you are their friend and therefore making them available to help you move.  (Everyone knows how awful it is to pack your whole house up and schlep across town.)  Such topics covered include "liking religions your parents don't belong to", "kitchen gadgets", and the "Toyota Prius".  Particular care is given to avoid liking things that the "wrong kind of white people" like, such as Dane Cook.

No comments: