Thursday, August 16, 2007

Travel Update: Mayor Moyer

Mayor Ellen is still touring Europe, and has updated her blog with accounts of the two most recent cities she has visited.

The mayor started her blog around the time she went on this trip, and thus far it has mainly served as a travel guide, along with some peculiarities of history regarding her various destinations.

Even so, if this blog failed to comment on the mayor's blog, it would drop to the ranking of, perhaps, only the 200th most popular political blog in Ward 5. Wanting to maintain the popularity of this URL, I have selected 2 items for presentation:

-The mayor of Newport, Pembrokeshire, Wales, is named Barry Onions. Barry Onions! I have a long day planned for today, and I expect to be stressed out--albeit ever so slightly. When this happens, I will say "Barry Onions" 10 times to myself, and surely people will be asking why I have a goofy grin on my face. I mean, just listen to this excerpt:

Today there is a bird habitat nearby. Two swans have finally returned to the area. Mayor Onion would like more.

Laugh out loud!! Are we characters in a Harry Potter book?!! I am sort of a weird person, but I can't help but believe that even the more 'normal' of the people amongst us find this amusing.

-The mayor visited Wexford, Ireland, which appears to be the hometown of Naval Commodore John Barry. She had this to say:

The Mayor wonders why Annapolis doesn’t do more to recognize this Naval hero. John Barry served with George Washington in our war for independence and was listed as #1 in the American Navy.
__
First, you may be wondering why the mayor refers to herself in the third person. This actually is not unexpected, as we have learned that the mayor does not actually make her own blog posts. Somebody else likely wrote this, and therefore would refer to the mayor as "the mayor" and not "I".
__
Second, this is how AP interprets the above quote:
__
"The mayor wonders if she can spend money, or create a position in city government, based loosely on John Barry. Early ideas include statues or a museum, but all opportunities are being explored.
__
I wouldn't be surprised if John Barry appeared in the budget for FY 2009.
__
I look forward to her next post!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice observation, thanks. I don’t visit your blog every day, but when I
visit your blog I enjoy browsing through your old posts and try to catch up
what I have missed since my last visit.

Brian Gill said...

Thanks for the compliment and thanks for reading....Brian